Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Snow Day!

Today all the school districts were closed around us, so we canceled Little Adventures Preschool.  I dropped all my "Turkey" lesson plans for the day and went in search of snow related ideas from blogs I love.  During breakfast I jotted down ideas and then took off running with the boys.  I'm exhausted now.
We started with brush/finger painting white on a piece of cardboard.  I plan to cut out snowflakes from it after nap time.
 While we were painting we practiced writing letters, more specifically our names in the wet paint.
 Here is C drawing a big "O".
 Next we moved on to cutting out snow flakes.  This was a bit hard on our little scissors.
 They boys each made 3 snowflakes that they were really proud of before they lost interest.
 One broken pair of scissors later...
 Our beautiful masterpieces.  C's is on the top center and the bottom right.  T's are on the middle row right and bottom row left.  My example is the middle row left.
 Soon enough it was snack time.  We made "Snow-Cream".  I made the boys a green smoothie (spinach, banana, apple, whole milk) and then topped it with a cup of snow for the boys to mix together to make an ice cream texture.

 Next, I gave each of the boys a tray of snow and filled 4 kid sized spray bottles with water and food coloring.  I didn't want to get everyone dressed to go play outside (particularly EMan, whom I knew wouldn't enjoy it) so I brought the snow inside to us.
 They got to work spraying their snow to make different designs.  Of course they thought it was also awesome to eat the colored snow - no problem for me!
 I showed the boys that they could make a mini snowman.
 EMan wanted to get in the action as well.  He poked at the snow a little bit and then whined that his hand was cold.  It was a good vocabulary building activity.
 We started a snow science experiment first thing this morning.  We got three bowls and filled them each with one cup of snow.  Then we set them in different rooms of the house.  We wanted to see where the snow would melt the fastest.   Here are pictures of 2 bowls at the one hour mark.

 I made a chart to write down our experiment on.  Since the boys don't read I think the chart was lost on them.  Perhaps if I do this again I'll plan ahead and have some pictures ready and color code the chart.  We'll still check the garage one after nap and then at dinner time to see when it melts.
During lunch I read the boys some of our snow related books.  I'll finish reading the rest of them throughout the day.
I'm frustrated that preschool keeps getting canceled, but I guess that's the name of the winter game.  I look forward to seeing all my little ones again on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment