Thursday, November 17, 2011

Preschool 11/16 Insects

On Wednesday we talked about insects (letter i) in Little Adventures Preschool.  I had been working on the Road to Reading game and decided to make something similar, but along the insects theme.  I printed off the pages 4 to a page and then assembled a "book" in these inexpensive phto albums.  I laminated the bug jar and the bugs and then cut them out.  I taught the kids to sound out the letters and say them faster and faster until they know what the word says.  Once they knew the word they could "catch" a bug with tweezers and put it on their bug jar.  I also included all the letters that they know individually and instructed them to sing the letter song and then catch a bug. The letter song we use is:
A says /a/
A says /a/
Every letter makes a sound
A says /a/
 To download Catch Those Bugs!  Just click on the picture above.

Here the boys are independently "reading" books about insects while I work at the reading table with the girls.
 Tracing the letter I again (from RRSP ar 1+1+1=1).
 Here we are coloring and painting handprints for I the insect from the Amazing Action Alphabet.
We also played a sorting bugs game from Carisa's Bug Unit.

 The completed I the insect craft.
We also did some math graphing about if we thought bugs were cool or creepy and looked through "bug eyes" to see what the world looks like through a bugs eyes.  We were so super busy that I didn't get to take any pictures of those!

5 comments:

  1. I love how the craft turned out! The bug readers are very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun insect fun. Love the hand art picture! I wanted to invite you to link up at TGIF Linky Party - http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties - Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never saw anyone use photo albums before to make books, but it is such a great idea! I love it! Thanks for the download.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! Love the photo albums to make books. New reader from TGIF,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Especially how the "I" is the insects body. Sharing it on Pinterst & Twitter :)

    ReplyDelete