Monday, January 2, 2012

Printables: Introduction and Assembly



(Click on the Monkey above to go to Teacher's Notebook where you can download all of my printables)
{Click Here} for Tot Packs coming for the 2012-2013 school year.
Wonder what you'll get in a printable pack? Well, each one is different dependent upon the needs of the child(ren) that it is intended for. Here is one of my most recent tot packs.

There is always a first page of copy right information (pictured above) and quite often, all of the time in my newer themed packs, there is a lesson plan page (pictured below).  The lesson plan page is full of ideas that you can do outside of the tot pack with suggestions for books to read, science experiments, and hands-on activities that relate to the theme. (Click on any of the images to see them larger.)
 Often there will be puzzles, which may be 2, 3, or 5 pieces each (pictured above), and occasionally there are mini books which focus on a number of different skills (pictured below).  I cut, laminate, cut and then bind my mini books with a metal ring so that if I have multiple children working on the same concept I can give pages out and pass them around.  Most often the mini books require markers (wet erase or dry erase).

There are sorting pages (pictured above) and lacing pages (pictured below).  Sorting can be anything from size, shape, or color.  Lacing pages I cut, laminate, cut and then hole punch around the edge adding a lacing string to each object.
This pack has size sequencing (like the game above where you put the objects in the correct buckets according to size) and size sequencing (like the game below where you put the images in order from largest to smallest or smallest to largest.
 There will occasionally be mini books which can be pre-readers (books that kids memorize what it says on each page then "read" it back to you), beginning readers (books that are decodable - meaning you can sound out every word with the introduction of some sight words) or they can be activity books (like the one pictured above where you have a separate game piece such as a beach ball that you have to place in the correct position to practice location words).  Below you'll also find a beginning handwriting page.  EMan (my almost 2 year old) just scribbles on this page with a wet erase marker (that's his developmental stage) where CJ (my 3 1/2 year old) traces the lines from left to right practicing hand eye coordination, left to right reading and writing skills, and fine motor skills.
 I have started including songs in my books as well (pictured below).  I found that I forget to teach and sing different songs with my kids when they fit into a perfect theme and this is a great reminder to sing them.  It is also perfect having a picture association with the songs so that every child who works in the books learns the songs and then ask to sing their favorites, even if they are pre-verbal.
Are you interested in how I assemble my tot packs and when/where/how I use them with my kids?
 First I start by printing all the pages in the tot pack (minus the first one that has all the copyright information).  Then I laminate all appropriate full pages in a pocket laminating machine.  I print the pages and laminate them so they are back to back to make a book.  Then I bind the pages together using a comb binder.

 Next, I print the appropriate extra pages, cut out the pieces, laminate them, then cut them out again.  (Yes, there is a lot of cutting in this process).
 I use Velcro on the back of all the pieces to attach them to the book I just made.  I do this for all the puzzle pieces as well as pieces like Lacing Cards (which you see above) and Size Sorting items (which you see below) simply so I can keep track of all of the pieces.
 The I stick the book in my backpack or have it sitting on my piano for the right moment to use it with my kids. I keep a wet erase marker near by so kids can also color all over the pages in a variety of ways.  Perhaps you are learning the letter "A" and you have your child circle all of the A's they see on a page, or perhaps you have a young one that is just learning to scribble and not put the marker in their mouth - that is just perfect as well.

The reason that I cut, laminate, and cut pieces again is so that if pieces get sucked on or we play with the wet erase marker and dunk it under the water to rinse it clean the paper inside the laminate is safe.  If you laminate then cut you have exposed paper on all of the edges which makes clean up harder :(
I also tend to use wet erase marker.  Yes, it is messier on their hands and clothes and such, but dry erase marker (which is also an option) tends to stain the lamination if you don't wipe it off right away.  The number of times that I've picked up a pack after a few days and remember that I didn't clean it up when we were done make me glad that I don't have to reprint pages because I used marker that wipes off clean when run under the faucet.
That's it!  Go to my Teacher's Notebook Page to download packs that interest you and yours and get busy interacting and enjoying living through learning!

Packs from the 2011-2012 school year: 
Sight Word Graphing for November
    
You can now find all the printables on Teachers Notebook: http://www.teachersnotebook.com/shop/LittleAdventuresPreschool
Please do not sell or host these files anywhere else. You may link people to my blog.  If you choose to download something, please leave a comment, comments are what lights the fire of creativity!

Enjoy playing with these packs, and as always - please let me know if there are any typos.  Please leave a comment here if you download, I'd love to know who's using what! And, if you blog about any pack let me know!  I'll add a link to your blog under the printables section of mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment