Monday, December 26, 2011

The Snowy Day

Steve was a fantastic sport and got us (aka: me) a SmartBoard for Christmas.  We've been working on setting it up and are still waiting for one cable to arrive, but because today's preschool was only R, C and EMan I decided to set it up so we could use it.  All the cables were out in the open and hanging everywhere since we don't have the right one to run them all into the computer room yet, but with only 2 kids and occasionally EMan I could keep my eyes on them.
 We started preschool by watching the Scholastic production of One Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats.  Then we read the book to see the story in a different form.
 I had lapbooks prepared for all the kids about the book.  I used the printables from HomeschoolShare for these.
 We sequenced the story, made a book about the color white,
 circled all the S's that we found (S if for Snow),
 and we cut out and put together our own snowmen.
 After snack time I introduced the boys to using the board.  If you ever have the opportunity to use one, having the younger kids hold a tennis ball to manipulate the objects is very helpful.
  These pages are from our Touch Math PreK curriculum. We've been working on one-to-one correspondence. 
 I love this sequence of pictures.  First C is taking his turn coloring one apple green.
 Then he says, "Here R, you can finish coloring it."
They had both completed coloring one apple green together.  I love that they did that unprompted!
It was a quiet day in preschool having so many kids taking a holiday and though we had fun, I look forward to more students returning on Wednesday and even more making it back next Monday!

2 comments:

  1. I loved rowing Snowy Day. That smart board looks like a LOT of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A smart board? Your hubby rocks!!!

    Great row! We haven't done that one yet.

    Popping in from Homeschool Creations.

    ReplyDelete