Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Dr. Seuss Day

We had a fantastic day!  It was a lot of fun celebrating Dr. Seuss in preschool today.  I had to pick some of my favorite photos to share, but I also included a video collage of all the photos from today (I believe I took 64 pictures).
We started the day by coloring some "Cat in the Hat" hats.  I was so glad last night when I went to prep these hats that I had done extras last year and they were mostly done for me.  Yay!  If you want to make some yourself take an over sized white lunch bag and draw lines every two inches.  I drew a red "x" in the middle of every other rectangle and that's where the kids colored.  Then you cut out the inside of a paper plate and staple the bag to it.  I've made these every year for about 10 years and it is so much fun every time!
 Our first three to finish making their hats loved playing with them while the rest were finishing coloring.
 We headed downstairs next to read "The Cat in the Hat."
 I used printables from Mama's Monkeys and 2 Teaching Mommies. We had all sorts of activities.  I made lapbooks of a sort with these printables by taking a large sheet of construction paper, gluing some pages on the outside and an envelope on the inside and laminating them.   We traced the letter "H" and the word "Hat"...
 We played shape matching and shadow matching games...
 and then headed upstairs for snack time.  Here a crowd has gathered at the kitchen sink to wash, somehow the bathroom is "so yesterday!" and the kitchen is the new "hip to was my hands here" spot.  Awesome, some just need to grow a few more inches :)
 We put 10 eggs into a pan and started cooking them on the stove top (I secretly added food coloring).  While our eggs were cooking we read, "Green Eggs and Ham." The kids were uncertain about the green eggs and ham we had for snack, but everyone tried them and liked them in the end.
 We had a new friend "R" join us for preschool today.  She was a blast to have and we hope she joins us for preschool in the fall.
 We made these adorable "Thing" popsicle puppets that you can find at toddlerapproved.com
 "C" thought it was awesome getting attention for his red painted face, so he took the dot markers and painted his whole face.  What a silly kid.
 I love that the kids decided they should line up all their "Thing Puppets" on the piano like this.  How fun!
 For math today we worked on some size comparisons...
 and matching sets of trees to a numeral...

 and having "Thing 1" and "Thing 2" race to the finish line!
I love celebrating Dr. Seuss birthday and am excited that we get to do a few more fun activities on Friday for Fortifying Friday.  It's days like today that energize me to keep coming up with fun activities for our little preschoolers.  Thanks for sharing your kids with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment