Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Dr. Seuss' Birthday

Today in preschool we celebrated Dr. Seuss.  We read so many books I hardly have a voice anymore.  I love when kids point out which books they also have at home and are familiar with.  
 We read Green Eggs and Ham before snack time and then enjoyed some hard boiled and dyed green eggs and some turkey.  (Turkey because I don't eat pork, but they didn't mind so much.) We read about Bartholomew and the Oobleck after snack and then played in our own Oobleck.  It was ooey and gooey and slimy and raining oobleck all over the place.   I love the activity, however, I'm not so sure about that large of a mess, whew!
 This afternoon started off with the Oobleck adventure and these kids acted like it was their sole purpose in life to play with the oobleck.  If you haven't been around the block with us before, Oobleck is cornstarch and water (I add green food coloring to the water).  It is a non-Newtonian fluid that possesses the properties of both a liquid and a solid.  It's super fun to play with and leaves a cornstarch film on EVERYTHING when you try to clean it up.
 After reading the oobleck book and Green Eggs and Ham we headed downstairs to write and draw about our favorite book.  I have another new sofa in the basement now.  It's kind of an experiment of sorts.  I'll write about that on NexusHomeschool one of these days.... it was fun to watch them spread out and work.  We also worked on our guided reading lessons and our math books.  Our math books are individual books that the kids are writing that represent numbers with a numeral and a picture of base ten blocks for each page.  It is a fun project that is really helping me see who needs clarity on place value of tens and units and who can recognize the teen numbers (or not, for that matter).
I love seeing how this class is working together and building such great friendships!

No comments:

Post a Comment