Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Summer Bugs Tot School

Tot School this morning was so much fun.  We have a blast with the "Bugs" theme.  It makes me happy every time I pull out the bug box.  There were a handful of bug jars in our bug box that we put right to work.  In our time together we caught a cricket, an earwig, a wasp, a spider, and a fly.  This was amazing because we could look closely and safely at all the bugs and then eventually let them go (except for the wasp, the evil one we caught didn't survive and I'm okay with that).
 
The bugs theme lends itself to some exciting art opportunities.  We made bug "rings" out of chenille stems by twisting them around my finger and then bending the left overs like antenna.  They fit as an over-sized ring for the toddlers that way.  Our most time consuming art activity was a footprint butterfly.  I did this years ago when my older boys were young and I was excited to make a matching footprint art for my youngest.  They turned out super amazing.
We also painted plates red and turned them into ladybugs.  Painting with toddlers is always an adventure.  One child is grabbing the paint end of the brush and has completely red hands, the child across the table is asking for a baby wipe for every small paint on skin incident, and the child diagonally wants more paint every 3 seconds.  It's kind of like... well... painting with a group of very young children.  I'm pulled a thousand places at once wiping up as much paint as there is placed on the paper.  I guess it was worth it because after tot school was over my daughter carried her two art projects around the house for at least 20 minutes before I convinced her that they needed to be set in a safe place for lunch time.
We read The Very Hungry Caterpillar and talked about all the different foods that the caterpillar ate and how he turned into a butterfly in the end.  Of course there was a smattering of splashing in the water, playing in the sandbox and playhouse, and using squirting bug toys to water the tree and "paint" the fence.  


No comments:

Post a Comment